Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2014

20 Questions

Brendan provided 20 questions to describe your play style, and just like Alex I feel like answering might help understand my campaign style somewhat better. Alex ran games for me, and I run a game for him, and there are some subtle and some distinct differences; maybe some of these become clearer when I answer those questions.



  1. Ability scores generation method?
    3d6 in order
  2. How are death and dying handled?
    I use the death and dismemberment method; i.e. when your hitpoints are out, you accrue critical hits which have some chance of being a nonlethal effect (or even give you a little adrenaline boost). I was told recently this is like Warhammer Fantasy, and it works pretty well in play
  3. What about raising the dead?
    The game world has some high level clerics that can do that, and one PC (with good ties to an influential family) got raised once. But it's not always possible I guess.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled?
    By new level one characters turning up.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
    Until the last session group initiative with players winning ties; but I tried the Old School Hack action tracker recently and will see if I can import it to the game.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
    No.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
    According to the Death and Dismemberment table, but nothing beyond that.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
    Probably, maybe? Has not come up in my game a lot, because there weren't many ranged fighters so far. I guess I might want to see a roll on my universal resolution table (i.e., using the reaction roll table) to see if a really bad result comes up if it's really crowded. Otherwise, combat rounds are a minute long and a lot of moving around happens that might allow the shot.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
    You will want to run from some encounters. Preparedness helps avoid running.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
    Yes. We have seen shades already, there may be others.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
    Yes.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
    Not strictly, but my players surprisingly often limit themselves in the realm of the reasonable. I use the armor encumbrance rules from B/X (i.e. heavy armor reduces speed), and sometimes make players consider dropping equipment if they try to run from something.
  13. What’s required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
    No training needed, and I haven't thought too much about gaining spells. Our Magic User recently turned into a Muscle Wizard, so normal spell learning doesn't seem appropriate either ...
  14. What do I get experience for?
    Precious little amounts for vanquishing monsters, it's more useful to try and find riches to bring to safety/civilization.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
    Description/Players asking questions. Thief skill might work as "saving throw" but there weren't many traps in my game yet.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
    Retainers work mostly by the book, although I count pets and horses as retainers.
  17. How do I identify magic items?
    During downtime usually, or with a Detect Magic spell to see whether something is magic.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
    No, and no. Scrolls and potions are found with clerics and magic users at times.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
    Has not come up yet; I'd say "probably not" unless we make it to really high levels. I guess Clerics could create scrolls given time in a temple and spending money on holy ink; maybe similar things should be possible for Magic Users? Really undecided.
  20. What about splitting the party?
    Certainly allowed, but splitting the party usually means multiplying the number of random encounters by a factor of party parts. My players thus think splitting the party is a bad idea.

Keine Kommentare: